Working as a staff member at Fairhaven is very different from working in a conventional school; if your primary interest is in “teaching,” then the Sudbury model of education is unlikely to be a good fit for you.
We always welcome new staff applicants, whatever our current staff situation. We are also accepting applications for substitute staff.
Assistant Staff Member
- 20 to 35 hours
- $25 to $30 per hour
The position is hourly with the possibility of becoming salaried. This is a year to year position with the first term being the 2023-24 school year.
The Assistant Staff Member will support the day-to-day operations at Fairhaven School, Maryland’s first Sudbury School, by providing assistance to staff and students alike in a variety of capacities. The role requires a dynamic, self-starter who can adapt to the unique, democratically governed, student-centered environment of a Sudbury School. Staff and assistant staff foster an environment where students can be responsible for their education and are free to spend their time as they choose. This is not your typical teaching position!
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, capable of working effectively with both children and adults in a highly social environment.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic environment.
- Mindset of problem solving and creative thinking.
- Commitment to the principles and philosophy of a Sudbury education.
- Experience working with young people, particularly in alternative or democratic schools, is preferred but not required.
- Experience with outreach in grassroots organizations is a plus.
- Completed a background check and possess a valid driver’s license.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist students with their self-directed learning activities, offering guidance and support as needed, without bringing any agenda to the process.
- Support full-time staff in maintaining a safe, clean and inviting learning environment.
- Learn the various aspects of a democratic school and encourage students to use the democratic resources available to them.
- Perform administrative tasks as assigned, such as answering phones, filing and maintaining records.
- Engage with parents and guardians in a way that fosters and reinforces each student's autonomy.
Fairhaven School is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for employees.
Staff Hiring Process
A person interested in becoming a candidate for staff at Fairhaven School must contact the Staffing Clerk and send a resume, cover letter and three references by clicking the "apply online now" button below. One of these references must be from the candidate’s current or most recent place of employment.
Visit + Interview
Upon approval of Staff Hiring Committee, the candidate may visit the school for a day, and upon approval of School Meeting may then visit for up to four additional days. On the last visiting day, the candidate must take part in a formal staff hiring interview with members of School Meeting. A stipend is included for the candidate's time.
After visiting the school and completing a formal interview with members of School Meeting, the Staffing Committee will discuss all applicants and make formal motions to School Meeting.
School Meeting Approval
School Meeting will vote on the candidates presented by the Staffing Committee. Candidates must receive a majority vote to be approved. The Staffing Clerk will contact the elected candidate.